Ten years after having moussaka in Greece for the first time, I finally worked up the courage to make it and it was A HIT! This recipe was a great base and with all the combined suggestions, it made it perfect. As one person said, it's not a 45 minute recipe. It was a lot of work but well worthwhile. Maybe with practice, it can become a 45 minute prep and an hour bake time. The amount of sauce was perfect not too much as few said.
After reading through many reviews, these are the changes as per many reviewers or just because I didn't have something on hand:
- I didn't peel the eggplant
- separated 3 eggs, added yolks to cooled meat filling and beaten egg whites to the bechemel sauce.
- no red wine in hand so I substituted chicken broth
- omitted the butter altogether
- -omitted the nutmeg on top
- omitted the dried parsley (didn't have any
-used 1/2 a jar of Ragu (that's what I had on hand)
- added an additional tablespoon of flour
-placed a couple of sliced potatoes on the bottom (peeled, sliced and baked 15 minutes with olive oil)
I'm sure the original recipe was good but this was Delicious nonetheless!
Was this review helpful?
4 users found this review helpful
Ten years after having moussaka in Greece for the first time, I finally worked up the courage...