Classic Chicken and Rice Soup
I used the Fast Chicken Base with some meaningful changes:Great Base Recipe...several changes I made:
1)Used bones with meat only-No skins..less fat-doesn't need it for flavor
2) NO WATER-much better flavor without
3) Added 2 extra carrots(halved then chopped) and Sauteed ALL vegetables starting with onions,5', then added carrots and celery, stirring on low-mid heat 15 minutes..this roasts the veggies and adds amazing flavor..I also added the thyme in the beginning.
4) Add Pacific Chicken Stock, boil, add bones, boil then LOW simmer,mostly covered 30'.
5) Strain and discard everything but broth.
Go to Chicken with rice recipe....
For the Soup:
1) Added 1 cup short grain organic brown rice to broth and cook covered on lowest setting 35-40 minutes...till almost done...add 3 chopped carrots(split lengthwise and chop, thinner as you get to the fatter end) and 1 stalk chopped celery. Add carrots and celery with 20' to go on rice
2) Cut skinned de-boned chicken(from making the stock) into 1" pieces, and add along with 1 cup of frozen peas to the base...bring to simmer, cover, turn off heat and set aside 15'...this prevents the chicken from overcooking. While waiting, toast a sliced Ciabatta roll drizzled with olive oil at 375 until lightly browned. I do not add any parsley or pepper. Skim to remove any surface oil and "scum"..nasty word but the stuff floating on top, basically. Enjoy!!
1 user found this review helpful
Sep. 11, 2012