I'm Blue (Da ba dee da ba di)
May 5, 2011 5:26 pm
Updated: Jun. 9, 2011 3:40 am
Anyone else remember that terribly annoying song by Eiffel 65 from the late '90s? Unfortunately it's stuck in my head now.
But yes, AR friends, I am *blue* now. Decided I might as well gift myself a membership... I don't think I'll have much to say, but I like the option of making blog posts, and I'd really like to explore the Menus more. Plus I think it's worth contributing to
the cost of a fabulous site that I'm on every single day! And really at less than $23 for two years, why the heck not sign up? I spend more than that on coffee and snacks every week, I'm sure. And the Canadian dollar is really good right now so it's actually
costing me slightly less than that :)
Anyways, I suppose this is the obligatory 'introducing myself' blog, though I've been hanging out on Buzz for awhile so many of you "know" me already! I'd share my life story with you but it's rather uninteresting, so let's just do a quick recap:
I'm Alex, but properly Alexandra Erin (as my mother says, if she wanted to call me Alex, that's what she would have named me). Within my family I'm more often known as 'Awa' as that's how my younger brother managed to say 'Alexandra' as a toddler. It stuck.
I was born on August 21, 1987 via emergency C-section; nearly 24 years later my grandmother is still upset that she was in Italy when I was born, 4 weeks before I was supposed to be. Speaking of my grandmother and Italy, she and my grandfather are from there
(and Nonna is the best cook ever, I grew up on amazing food). They came to Canada in 1958. My dad's family has English, Irish and Scottish roots, but his family has been here for a few generations.
Anyways, I was born. I went to school. I went to university. I got a degree in history that I've done nothing with. And I got a boring desk job that makes me want to die a little every day. And here we are caught up to the present.
As that's not a very interesting story, I'll just share 20 random (possibly semi-interesting, but probably not) things about me:
1. In my life I've played piano, clarinet, bass guitar and guitar. I was best at piano but I found the exams for it really boring and when I got to high school, wanted to try something new. I played clarinet in music class and band in grade 7 and 8 - I was
terrible in grade 7, much better in grade 8. Bass guitar and guitar I unfortunately not good at. I took guitar lessons from the boy I spent the better part of 6+ years ridiculously in love with... didn't learn much but it was fun.
2. My "relationship", as it were, with the boy mentioned above crashed and burned hard and I still don't know why... despite him never quite returning my feelings, we were good friends for years and somehow everything all went to heck and couldn't be salvaged.
Totally changed who I am. I used to be confident, outgoing.. happy. I'm still not any of those things, but have definitely progressed from the rock bottom I felt I was at a couple years ago.
3. At one time I had 10 holes pierced in body and slowly took out the different pieces of jewellery, letting them close over. Now I have one hole in each earlobe, one hole in the upper cartilidge area of my right ear (don't usually wear any jewellery in it
though) and one more that's not visible when I'm clothed.
4. I'm an extremely lazy person, dislike exercise and love food, especially sweets. The size of my butt confirms this.
5. I've tried writing novels/scripts several times and it never gets anywhere. I can easily create scenes in my head but putting them in writing is so hard.
6. The greatest night of my life, so far, was my prom night. Not the actual dinner/dance, but the after party. It was an amazing time and almost all of my graduating class was there. We rented out a floor in the dormitory of the local college (which is rented
like a hotel after the school year ends in May) and spent the night having mini parties in all the suites, shuffling around every so often.
7. Pretty much my only hobby other than baking is writing quizzes and generally spending time at the internet's biggest trivia website, funtrivia.com. I am also a quiz editor in the Television category there. If you've never been to the site, check it out!
You can play lots of excellent quizzes as a guest, sign up for a free membership to play more games and interact on the chatboards and forums, or even sign up for a gold membership (about $40/year) for even more games and perks.
8. My favourite mixed drink is Sex on the Beach, though I am also very partial to raspberry Sour Puss and tequila shots.
9. I looove pedicures and even though I don't like the heat of summer, I am happy that it is sandals season once again, so I can justify spending the money on making my feet pretty!
10. I mentioned above that my degree is in History (also a minor in Sociology). My main area of focus in my studies, especially in my fourth year, was peace diplomacy during the First World War. The other senior seminar I took in my fourth year was a class
in the history of sex. It was really interesting and very fun at times!
11. I have no kids (no husband, no boyfriend, no girlfriend, no nothing!) but I am really starting to come around on the idea of having one or two someday. I can definitely see me having *babies*, but I'm still really intimidated of the idea of being responsible
for other human beings for a lifetime, having to shape and mold them and ready them for the world..
12. My favourite fruit is really juicy navel oranges - but I really like most fruits when they're ripe and delicious.
13. My biggest vice (though I don't really think of it as a vice) is pot smoking.. and I know there are people who will probably dislike me for that, but I feel like I shouldn't 'hide' it or lie about it, as I believe in the saying, if you have to hide it you
probably shouldn't be doing it.
14. I am definitely my father's daughter... my whole life, people have been saying I am just like him. When I was in grade one, school had to shut down in the middle of the day and my dad came to pick me up. My teacher, having never met him before, immediately
knew which kid he was there to get. But it's not just in terms of looks (and as I got older, I started looking a little less like him), but apparently I take on his mannerisms and sense of humour and stuff like that.
15. I'm a really good speller (I won $100 in a spelling bee when I was 9) and generally am good at expressing myself correctly in writing (less so orally, but that's just because I say "like" and "um" a lot), but I try not to be a grammar nazi and correct people,
especially online (because an online forum is not a formal essay!). There are certain common mistakes that appear in peoples' posts all over the internet that really irritate me though.
16. I hate baseball, I really do. I was dragged to far too many baseball games as a kid because my dad loves it (we even had to go to baseball games on a trip to Disney World!) that I really can't bear the thought of ever going to another one.
17. I am the messiest eater ever. Seriously. My mom should be awarded a medal for all the stains she has managed to get out of my clothes over the years.
18. My favourite movie is Almost Famous. It makes me dream of living a life on the road on tour with a band - though I think it would have been way more fun to do in the '70s. Best scene in the movie: when they all start singing "Tiny Dancer" on the tour bus.
19. If/when I finally move out of my parents' house, what I look forward to the most is having a big bed! I still sleep in the twin bed I've been sleeping in since about 1990... occasionally on the same Mickey Mouse sheets too.
20. I've never had a pet, ever. My dad tried to get us fish once and my mom said absolutely not.
So there you have it, Alex in a nutshell. If anyone read ALL of that, I guess you have as much time on your hands as I do :)