Controlling portion size and Meatless Monday BBQ Mushroom Quesadillas
Jan. 16, 2011 8:26 pm
Updated: Jan. 17, 2011 1:14 pm
Did you make a healthy resolution for the new year? How's it going? Are you taking small steps? Did you start with picking
healthier versions of ingredients in your cooking?
Now that you're thinking about what you're eating, it's time to start thinking about how much. Restaurants and food companies aren't
the best at helping either. That 12 ounce steak at the restaurant is actually 3-times what a serving of lean protein is. Or, the box of pasta that says it has about 4 servings in the cooking instructions actually points out that it is 6 when you look at the
nutrition data. Here are some suggestions for controlling portion sizes:
- Read the nutrition information on the package and prepare dishes accordingly
- Get a food scale use it
- Measure and plate servings and take your plate to the table instead putting serving dishes filled with food on the table
- Portion out snackfoods in advance so that you're not tempted to reach back into the bag or box for "just one more."
- Use a smaller plate so that you're not tempted to fill it.
- If you're still hungry after one serving, take a break before going back for seconds. It can take up 20 minutes for your stomach to let your mind know you're full.
- You can get more information on what is appropriate portion sizes from the USDA.
One of the great things about this dish is that it is very clear exactly what one serving is. That's on top of the fact it is full of delicious flavors. It is a wonderful meatless dish that even your meat lovers will enjoy. Inspired by a recipe from Eating
Well, it gives you a little savory, a little sweet, a little earthy and a little heat. And if that's not enough, it's incredibly quick and easy!
I served it with a lightened corn salad, salsa and light sour cream.
Nutrition information from NutritionData.com: Calories: 302, Fat: 9 grams, Carbohydrate: 46 grams, Fiber: 6 grams, Protein: 13 grams, Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 8.
Deal of the Day:
inexpensive, but a priceless tool for living a healthier lifestyle.