My Revised Carne en su Jugo
Feb. 16, 2010 9:42 am
Updated: Apr. 19, 2012 1:25 pm
Well, the first recipe was okay and I could not figure out what I was missing. So I finally took my stubborn butt to my mother in laws and asked her if I could watch her step-by-step make it, so I could figure out what I was doing wrong. She is an awesome cook the only problems is that it would be nice if she could speak english!! I speak some spanish and can understand more than I can speak but sometimes I have to stop and ask my husband to tell her what i'm trying to say. Besides that I love cooking with her. So after sitting down with her on Sunday and making this recipe, I thought I would share the revised version which I must say is much better than the first! So here it is:
1-1/2 LBS Round Steak or Cubed Beef Steak
1 LB Bacon
4-5 Cups Cooked Pinto Beans
2 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
1 Tspn Ground Cumin
1 Tspn Black Pepper
2 packets (.18 ounce) sazon seasoning with coriander and achiote, such as Goya®
1 Tblspn Minced Garlic
1 Roma Tomato-cut into 4 peices
2 Bay leaves
2 Tbspns Salt
Juices from 3 limes
1. Follow package directions for pinto beans. Once they are done set them aside.
2. Slice steak into 1/2 in thin strips(sliced very thin). In a bowl place sliced steak, add juice from 3 limes, 2 packets sazon, pepper, cumin, 2 teaspoons salt. Let set for about 30 minutes.
3. Cut bacon into 1/4 inch peices, place in a 2 quart pot and fry lightly (about 10 minutes). After about 10 minutes add the tomato and garlic, fry another 3 minutes.
4. Add the steak and juices to the bacon pot. Cook about 2 minutes. Fill pot with water, about 8-10 cups.
5. Add the 2 chicken bouillon cubes, bay leaves, tomatillos (whole, dont cut them) to pot. Let simmer.
6. After about 1 hour remove tomatillos and place into blender, with small amount of juice from soup. Blend well, then pour back into soup. Let simmer about 30 more minutes or until meat is tender.
7. Be sure to remove the bay leaves when it is done cooking! Rinse and drain some beans and place the beans into each bowl (as desired), and top with soup mixture. Add toppings and serve.
Carne en su Jugo
Carne en su Jugo