... my mouf hurts!
There! I had to get the whine and whimper out of the way. I had surgery to remove a cyst from the hard palate in my mouth. I keep trying to eat harder or crunchy foods. That's a really bad plan when the roof of your mouth is
held on by threads.
This morning I decided after I ran a bunch of errands that I should try my hand at making raviolis. I had the idea to make two different kinds because I had pumpkin that I wanted to get out of my freezer from last year, and I
had two turkey breasts pretending to be chicken breasts lurking in my refrigerator.
For the pumpkin filling I cooked the pumpkin down further to get rid of a lot of extra moisture. Then I added in browned butter, caramelized onions and sage and thyme. I also added about a cup of heavy cream. I kept cooking this
down for about an hour. It helped, but was still very loose. I added in ricotta, chevre, asiago, parmesan and mozzarella hoping to thicken up the filling. It was still loose, but I couldn't think of anything else to add to stiffen it up. The heart breaker
was that I had to add a couple of beaten eggs.
For the chicken and spinach filling I caramelized some more onions in butter, and also used more sage and thyme for aromatics. Then I added two very large half breasts which I had chopped pretty fine. Once that cooked down I
blended the meat and onion mixture with some chicken stock and cream. Darn near burned out my blender too! To this I added chevre, asiago and mozzarella as well as two beaten eggs. I also seasoned with salt and white pepper, which I forgot to mention in the
above description of the pumpkin filling.
The pasta was made with 1.5 cups of semolina and 1.5 cups of AP flour, one teaspoon of salt, four eggs and two tablespoons of olive oil. I used my pasta maker to roll out the pasta into sheets. I started the rolling on the thickest
setting and got the sheet squared up and then started to reduce the thickness by one setting each go through until I was on the number three setting. That's not paper thin, but you can sort of see through it.
I wish I had a better way of forming the raviolis. I just painted egg wash over the whole sheet, put a bit of filling on one half of the sheet and then folded over. Then I would crimp it all down as best I could. I tried to squeeze
out as much air as I could, but the raviolis had a lot of air in them. Happily, when I boiled a test batch, they held together.
That test batch turned out darned good, but not perfection. I might have boiled the little, delicious pillows of culinary goodness a bit less than I should have. They were a bit tough. I sauced them with a chicken stock white
wine reduction with sage, thyme, heavy cream and butter. Good stuff, though a touch thin.
So there you have it. It was my first adventure in making ravioli, and I most decidedly need a nonna to teach me the right way.