A Delicious Mistake!
Dec. 27, 2012 5:45 pm
Updated: Jan. 3, 2013 7:02 pm
First let me apologize. I intended to take a series of photographs documenting this process, but I plumb forgot.
What was the mistake? Well, I wanted to make a sirloin tip roast for Christmas, but when I got home from the grocery store I had an eye of round in my bag. Sirloin doesn't intimidate me in the least. You rub it and chuck in in the oven. Eye of round, on the
other hand, can be unforgiving. Yes, In the past I have made beef jerky without trying. This year would have to be different! My mother-in-law was with us for Christmas, as well as my sister-in-flaw.
I saw a number of recipes that swear that starting an eye of round roast at 500 F for seven minutes per pound, and then turning off the heat and just leaving the meat in the oven to slowly roast for two hours will produce a superior product. I chose a different
route because I feared the possibility of producing a lump of inedible, twisted proteins. Tough cuts of beef and high heats don't play well together. I roasted my lump o' beef at 325 F after searing all sides for about two minutes each side.
I was going to submit my
Mustard Marinated Eye Of Round Roast to AR for kitchen approval, but I made the mistake of not paying attention to the roasting time. I used a probe thermometer for the first time in my life! Sadly, I have no record of the roasting time, but only a sad,
inaccurate guess. Ah well, I plan on making this again in the near future. The marinade does need a bit of tweaking, but it was quite good for a first effort. There was also a complete lack of pan drippings. Fortunately, I had a lot of pork stock, Glace de
Viande and a touch of Kitchen Bouquet.
The roast turned out to be tender and delicious. My only problem was not giving it enough rest time before pulling out the thermometer probe. Thar she blows!!!! The juices gushed from the roast, but I was able to put the probe back in the roast and stem the
tide of life juices from escaping. Captain Ahab would have been proud of me!
In closing, I finally got to the sandbakkels. The first tray came of badly. There were a lot of broken cookies, for which the kids and the sister-in-flaw were very grateful. They turned out pretty well after that first tray. It being my grandmothers recipe,
had no indication of how much time they had to bake. I was actually happy to see that there was a temperature!