Turkey Pot Pie I
We made a turkey that had been in our freezer since last Thanksgiving. My husband gets a free turkey every Thanksgiving from work, and since we never do Thanksgiving at our house, every October we make turkey to make room in the freezer for the next one. This weekend we made our turkey and now we had to figure out creative ways to use the leftovers.
This was dinner last night, and the first homemade pot pie I attempted (the crust was store bought). My family loved this. My husband ate half the pie.
I had to make some adjustments based on what I had on hand.
1. I had a 9 in. pie crust and pie pan so I reduced the ingredients. For step 2 in the original recipe, I used 1 carrot, 1 celery, 2 small potatoes, 1 1/4 cup of turkey, and 1 cup of water.
2. I heated the vegetables in olive oil instead of butter in an attempt to make it healthier.
3. I added fresh minced garlic in with the potatoes.
4. I don't buy chicken bullion cubs so I added 1-2 tbs. of homemade leftover turkey gravy (made from the turkey drippings) to the 1 cup of water.
5. I replaced the oregano and parsley with 2 1/2 tsp. of Ms. Dash table blend.
6. In step 3 from the original recipe, I didn't use flour and butter because I had leftover turkey gravy. I heated 1 cup of leftover turkey gravy and 1/4 - 1/3 of milk with the turkey.
7. I had some left over cooked mixed vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, corn and pimento) that I added at the end.
0 users found this review helpful
Oct. 16, 2012