Like many of the reviewers here, I followed OLIVERCADO's reccomendations (sort by most useful to see his review) and made some adjustments of my own to create this delicious stew. These are the changes I made:
1) From Olivercado: I increased the salt to 3 tsps, and reduced the pepper to 1/2 tsp. I added thyme and sage, but I used 1 tsp each of dried herbs instead of fresh (I omitted the Rosemary). I added 2 bay leaves, 2 TBS worchestershire sauce, and a can of tomatoes, although the ones I had on hand were diced and seasoned with garlic instead of crushed.
2) I cut up a cross rib roast for this dish and so I had about 2.5 lbs instead of 2.
3) I cooked this in the crock pot, having browned the meat and onion first. I cooked on high for 2 hours then reduced the heat to low for about 4 more hours.
4) Because I was using a slow cooker, I reduced the liquid. I added only a cup of beef broth, and a cup of chablis blanc. I usually use red wines or burgandy in beef dishes, but the chablis turned out well giving the finished stew a rich mellow flavor.
5) I used about 5 medium potatoes instead of 6 large. I used a whole chopped yellow onion instead of 12 boiling onions, I used 1/2 lb of prepared (bagged) baby carrots.
The stew was rich and flavorful and the consistency just right--no need to thicken. I will definitely make this again although I will probably increase the dried spices to 1 1/2-2 tsps. each and add some green beans. Yum.
Was this review helpful?
96 users found this review helpful
Like many of the reviewers here, I followed OLIVERCADO's reccomendations (sort by most useful...