I LOVE this recipe! This the is third year I have made them and I just finished cooking my 2nd batch for 2006. They are worth the effort it takes. I do not dip them in chocolate since they are delicious plain. Several tips...
1) Definitely use a candy thermometer (they are cheap).
2) Put them in a larger size pan (a 9x13 jellyroll pan lined with buttered foil works great).
3) Before they are completely set, score them with a knife to make lines to follow for cutting with kitchen shears (it's not perfect, but it helps).
4) There are special candy wrappers out there that are meant for caramel and they stay twisted.
5) If the caramels are getting too hard to cut pretty easily, put the large piece in the microwave for 5-10 seconds. This will soften it enough to make it easier to work with, but won't melt them.
Was this review helpful?
5 users found this review helpful
I LOVE this recipe! This the is third year I have made them and I just finished cooking my...