Here is one of my favorite quick meals that is another variation on "kicked-up" canned beans. The sweet and spicy taste and smoky flavor of the chipotle pepper sauce make this recipe sing!
(Makes 12 servings)
3 16-oz cans Bush’s Original Baked Beans
1-lb lean ground beef (browned and drained)
1 medium onion (diced)
1 medium green bell pepper (diced)
2 Anaheim peppers (deseeded and diced)
1 samll jalapeño pepper (deseeded and diced)
4 slices of bacon (diced)
¼ cup molasses
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup ketchup
¼ cup prepared yellow mustard
1 shot of Jack Daniels or Bourbon Whiskey*
1 tablespoon mustard powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 tablespoons Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce
*OK, maybe it takes two shots--especially if the cook drinks one!
1) In frying pan, brown ground beef, drain and set aside.
2) In same frying pan, brown diced bacon until almost crispy. Remove most of the drippings leaving about 2 tablespoons.
3) Add diced onion, green bell pepper, Anaheim peppers and jalapeño to bacon and drippings and sauté until almost tender.
4) Place beans in crock pot. Add all ingredients including hamburger and sautéed bacon/onion/pepper. Stir well. Let simmer on low for 3 hours stirring occasionally.
5) For stove top, cook ingredients in covered pan on a slow simmer for 30 to 40 minutes stirring occasionally.
These beans can be served as a side dish with Bar-B-Q or grilled steak. However, for a great summer lunch, serve as a main dish poured over fresh baked corn bread with creamy coleslaw on the side. Pair with some fresh brewed peach flavored sweet tea and you have yourself a wonderful taste of the South.