The flavor seems to come primarily from fat and salt. To make this more healthy and more flavorful, try the following:
1. spray the dish with non-stick spray rather than using butter
2. reduce the butter for sauteeing to 2 teaspoons
3. replace the milk with 1 cup of reduced sodium, fat-free chicken broth and 1 cup of low-fat evaporated milk
4. add 1/2 teaspoon (or more) of crushed marjoram or thyme leaves
5. add 1/8 teaspoon of ground red pepper to the roux and reduce the butter in the roux (you can cut in half and still successfully blend in the flour). Also, add 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground nutmeg to the roux. This is standard for a white sauce.
6. Use light cheese for the topping, preferably highly flavored such as asiago or extra sharp cheddar.
Was this review helpful?
1477 users found this review helpful
The flavor seems to come primarily from fat and salt. To make this more healthy and more...