Slow-Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage
It was my first time making Corned Beef, and it turned out wonderfully. Here's what I did:
- Used a 2 lb. bag of baby carrots, 3 onions thick sliced, and 5 potatoes quartered longways.
- Used 4 cups of water only along with 5 beef bullion cubes cut up and sprinkled over everything. I still wound up with a LOT of liquid, about half way up the crock.
- I put the veggies on the bottom and trimmed some of the fat off of the beef and put it on top, then sprinkled the seasoning packet over everything.
- I cooked it for 2 hours on HIGH, and the final 8 hours on LOW, (See comment below) and it all turned out great. Carrots and potatoes came out fine, but onions were very soft, almost overdone, but still very tasty.
- The only trouble I had was with adding the cabbage at the end. I used 1.5 heads of cabbage, cutting each half into 1/3's. I removed the meat after 9 hours and put it in a covered dish in the oven at 200 degrees. Then I added the cabbage for the last hour, but it wasn't done, so I removed the cabbage to another ceramic covered dish, added some broth, and microwaved it for about 7 minutes on high. It came out just right.
Had a mostly-vegetarian over for dinner who was "nice" and took a small piece of meat to try. She said she actually liked the meat better than the veggies!
My wife said she didn't know that she liked corned beef....until now!
All in all a great recipe, even without the beer.
This recipe goes into me Save File.
7 users found this review helpful
Aug. 17, 2011