I give this recipe a B+. It tasted great, but required some tweaks. Here are a few tips to make excellent Japanese Chicken Wings, with less fat and MORE taste:
1. Do not fry. Waste of calories. Instead, broil on high in oven. Each side approx 4-5 minutes. Ensure you flip sides so all of wing is alittle crispy.
2. Once broiling is complete, remove wings from oven. Turn off broil function. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
3. Line a sheet pan twice with foil. For recipes contents, forget about part with butter because we did not fry. Instead focus on sauce part. Do not use 1 cup of sugar. Use approx 1/3 of a cup. Use rice wine vinegar instead of white. For vinegar, use about 1/3 cup as well. Use about 6 TB of soya sauce or for taste you prefer. Slight sprinkle of chile peppers or hot sauce. Coat broiled wings in this mix well.
4. Once coated, please on cooking sheet and place in oven. Will cook for about 30 minutes. While wings cooking in oven, place leftover sauce in saucepan. Bring to a boil to use as a glaze. To thicken sauce, add cornstarch (to ensure no lumps in this sauce/gravy- add approx 1 TB of cornstarch to about 3TB of water, mix well and then add to saucepan to thicken sauce).
5. After approx 30 mins or until wings are cooked, remove from oven and coat them in the thickened sauce.
6. Service with white Nishiki rice or simply some veg. VERY delicious and enjoy!! :-)
Was this review helpful?
22 users found this review helpful
I give this recipe a B+. It tasted great, but required some tweaks. Here are a few tips to...