Passable, but prefer the following changes:
1. "turtles" have four legs, so I use four pecan halves. Prefer this size of finished product.
2. I start with melting 1 bag chocolate chips and add 1/4 bar paraffin, for a better handling finished product.
3. On waxed paper, spoon half dollar size circles of melted chocolate; position four pecan halves in the chocolate, then place in freezer for a half hour.
4. Melt caramels, adding one tablespoon of milk or half and half per bag of caramels. Cool caramel mixture until it begins to stiffen again, but still stirrable.
5. Using two teaspoons, spoon a quarter size dot of caramel on the cold chocolate/pecan bases. Return to freezer for a half hour.
6. Spoon chocolate over the caramel dot, making sure the top layer of chocolate completely covers the edges of the caramel and coats the edge of the base chocolate... this way the caramel will not leak out at room temperature.
7. When top chocolate sets up, gently remove from baking sheet and allow to come up to room temperature before serving. They store well in a sealed container at room temperature!
71 users found this review helpful
Dec. 6, 2007