Jun. 30, 2013 10:03 am
Updated: Jul. 6, 2013 4:20 am
In a recent issue of my health provider's quarterly magazine I found this health quiz which I thought would be interesting to share with you. I will post the answers in a day or two.
1. Which dried fruit is highest in added sugars?
a. dried cranberries b. raisins c. prunes d. dried apricots
2. How much sugar is in two tablespoons of ketchup?
a. 1/2 teaspoon b. 1 teaspoon c. 1 1/2 teaspoons d. 2 teaspoons
3. Which condiment tends to have the the most added sugar?
a. fat-free salad dressing b. regular salad dressing c. mustard d. mayonnaise
4. Which item typically has the most sodium per serving?
a. canned tuna b. canned soup c. canned tomato juice d. canned fruit
5. A study by the CDC found this to be the biggest source of sodium in our (USA) diet:
a. frozen meals b. salty snacks c. soups d. bread
6. Which dairy product is the highest in sodium?
a. cottage cheese b. skim milk c. cheddar cheese d. yogurt
[NOTE: Sugar and sodium amounts are based on averages for that food across brands]
And here are the answers: 1. a 2. d 3. a 4. b 5. d 6. a
And according to the American Heart Association guidelines for daily intake:
Sodium: 1,500 mg per day for people over 50. (1,500 mg is equivalent to about 3/4 teaspoon of table salt.)
Sugar: No more than 6-7 % of daily calories (which is about 6 teaspoons of sugar per day for women and 7 teaspoons for men). NOTE: this does not include sugars found naturally in dairy and fruit. Food labels list sugar in grams. One teaspoon of sugar is
I eat way too much salt and we won't even talk about sugar....
Hope you enjoyed playing along.