Oven Pot Roast
Oh SO delicious! I've been making pot roast for years, but had never used cream of mushroom soup before. This recipe caught my eye, and wow, I'm so glad I tried it. The cream of mushroom soup thickened the gravy and geve it a wonderful richness. I don't think I will now ever make pot roast again without the mushroom soup!
I'm sure the recipe would be wonderful as written, but since I'd already bought vegetables and red wine which I'd planned to use before I discovered this recipe, I modified the recipe slightly as follows:
1) I seasoned the chuck roast with salt, pepper and garlic powder
2) I dredged the meat in flour.
3) I seared the meat over medium high heat in my dutch oven.
4) I took the meat out, and then browned a bunch of large chopped carrots, onions, celery and red potatoes.
5) I deglazed the pan with about 1/2 cup of red wine.
6) then I whisked in the can of mushroom soup, the packet of onion soup, and about 2 cups of beef broth, and stirred it until the sauce was smooth. I tossed in a few rosemary sprigs and a few bay leaves.
7) Put the meat and the vegetable back in the pot.
8) I cooked this about 1 hour at 325, and then lowered the heat to 250 and cooked for another 4 hours or so.
Yum yum yum!
1 user found this review helpful
Dec. 20, 2014