Tried this for the first time for my daughter's birthday cake and it turned out perfect. Everyone loved it! I'm not sure how anyone could rate this recipe negatively, but I have a feeling they missed one of the following keys to baking from scratch:
* ALL ingredients (eggs, butter, milk especially) MUST be at room temperature
* Cream the butter and sugar until it's really fluffy (this takes patience)
* SLOWLY mix in one yolk at a time, barely blending
* SIFT all of the dry ingredients.
* SLOWLY mix in a small amount (about a third) of the flour, blending completely. Then about a third of the milk, blending completely. Repeat until all flour and milk is gone.
I also made my own cake flour by measuring out 2 cups of all-purpose flour, removing 4 Tbsp, replacing it with 4 Tbsp of cornstarch, then sifting the mixture 5 times.
Following this procedure takes some time, but made a super silky batter!
Was this review helpful?
8 users found this review helpful
Tried this for the first time for my daughter's birthday cake and it turned out perfect....