I made this over the weekend - first lasagna I've ever made, to my recollection. I made a few modifications (below), but it turned out excellent. It does take a fair amount of time and patience, but it paid off in spades when it was done. This filled an entire foil roasting pan to the brim (3 layers) and I had ~1 cup of sauce left over (which I ate right out of the pan, because it was freakin' delicious). But to my amazement, it didn't leak at all in the oven.
• 1 lb 93% lean beef (instead of 3/4 lb - figured I might as well put it all in)
• 1 lb sliced fresh mozzarella & 1/2 lb shredded mozz/provolone (because heck yeah cheese & I also misread 3/4 c parmesan as another 3/4 lb of mozz)
• omit water (really didn't need it)
• used no-boil noodles
• 2 eggs instead of 1 to stretch the ricotta a bit
• approximately doubled all of the herbs called for in the sauce.
I also refrigerated it overnight to bake the next day, so I set it out for an hour or so before baking and then added 5 minutes to both cooking stages.
I will definitely make this again, no doubt about it. I'm going to double the ricotta next time, because the layer was quite thin, but that may be because I used a deeper pan and an extra layer.
Note: this is Celiac friendly. I subbed DeBoles brown rice lasagna noodles (uncooked) and it turned out perfect. That was the only sub necessary.
The sauce is incredible. I plan on making an extra batch to freeze and use with other dishes.
Was this review helpful?
0 users found this review helpful
I made this over the weekend - first lasagna I've ever made, to my recollection. I made a few...