This was the first time I have ever made gizzards and first time I've ever deep fried something, but I couldn't be happier! I used this a base, and then added my own tweaks:
- I trimmed the gizzards of the connective tissue that make gizzards so rubbery (however this made for more popcorn style gizzards than larger tavern style).
- I added 3 garlic cloves and about 2 tablespoons of cajun seasoning to the gizzards as they simmered.
- Instead of using the italian seasoning, I used approx. 1 tablespoon of cumin, smoked paprika, ground chipotle, and some cheyenne pepper.
-I didn't have Louisiana style hot sauce, so I used Sriracha instead
- I deep fried the gizzards in peanut oil
- Finally, I used panko breading instead of flour for a little more crispy texture.
These were so good! Super tender, and just the right amount of heat. Will totally use this recipe again.
Was this review helpful?
1 user found this review helpful
This was the first time I have ever made gizzards and first time I've ever deep fried...