Recipe by CORWYNN DARKHOLME
"This is a very zesty, but not overly spicy, nourishing soup. It's best served warm! Garnish with freshly ground nutmeg."
Watch video tips and tricks
yellow split peas
onions, thinly sliced
peeled, seeded and diced sugar pumpkin
salt beef, fat removed and diced
green chile pepper, chopped
Split peas give this soup a bit of texture as well as they take away a bit of the sweetness of the pumpkin. Works for me, I'm not too keen about sweet food for supper! Great recipe!
It was great on a cold fal evening. I used green split peas, veggie burger instead of salt beef and asafotida instead of the bitters. Used a pressure cooker to cook it all. Everybody was pleased.
Definitely the way to enjoy a vegetarian soup! The flavor is great and it leaves you wanting more.
Just finished making this, and it is really delicious! I unfortunately did not have all ingredients to hand, so I made the following substitutions/revisions:
1) Because I'm impatient, instead of soaking the split peas overnight, I started them cooking first, then just added the ingredients as I got them ready.
2) Used about 2-3 cup of diced fresh cooked ham on the bone.
3) I had a HUGE green chili pepper, so I removed the seeds first, diced it up and then sauteed it with the onions.
4) Didn't have any bitters, so I added about 1/2 cup of pumpkin ale.
5) At the tail end, I added about 2 teaspoons of curry. (The soup tasted great as is, I just felt like curry is all.)
Thanks for the new and interesting twist on split peas!
This is really good. I had never heard of "salt beef" before. Thought of maybe adding ham but forgot. I soak the peas over night then stuck it all in a crock pot and let it cook all day then blended. Tasted good to me without the salt beef. Super simple and nice change. I didn't add all the onion they called for, seemed a bit much. I just realized I used Lentils instead of split peas!! Still yum
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Pumpkin and Split Pea Soup
Serving Size: 1/6 of a recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving
** Calories: 298
** Calories from Fat: 125
Everything you need to party like a leprechaun.
New for spring! Good-for-you food you’ll love to eat.
Delicious recipes, party ideas, and helpful cooking tips! Get a year of Allrecipes magazine for just $9.99!
See how to make a simple, savory, and budget-friendly split pea soup.
See how to make hearty split pea soup from scratch.
See an easy recipe for making split pea soup.