1. Rather than grinding, I prefer to start with a whole fresh filet and separate the meat from the fascia by scraping it with the edge of a sharp knife. There is no comparison with respect to texture, presentation and flavour.
2. I prefer Pikapeppa Sauce or Cholula to Tabasco; both have superior flavour and complexity. For a nicer presentation a food mold can be used.
3. Adding brandy is an excellent idea, especially something interesting like Calvados.
4. The quality and freshness of the ingredients cannot be overemphasized.
5. The basic recipe can then be taken in a number of flavour and presentation directions with garnishes and condiments.
6. Scallions, minced cucumber, bell pepper (any colour), capers, duxelles, chopped hard boiled egg (if you are leery about using raw eggs), etc. can be served on the side.
7. An assortment of red, green and black cornichons (peppercorns) can add colour to the presentation.
8. Greek Tzatziki (a mild dressing of yogurt and cucumber), or a light horseradish sauce will add additional zest if desired.
9. As with Sushi, however, be careful not to overpower the basic delicate flavour of this dish.
10. Flatbread, lightly oiled and pan-fried, makes a nice alternative to the usual toast points or crackers.
Was this review helpful?
107 users found this review helpful
1. Rather than grinding, I prefer to start with a whole fresh filet and separate the meat...