I love lentils and rice. And this is pretty good with a bunch of modifications. However, it would have been very bland had I not added a bunch of ingredients. So the rating is for the recipe as written, but this can be made lots better by:
* using a vegetable or chicken stock
* adding the salt after the lentils are cooked, else the lentils will be tough if you add the salt earlier
* adding some onions at the beginning, while the lentils are cooking
* add an extra 1/2C liquid - even on my lowest simmer and with a lid on the pot, this still ran out of liquid before the lentils were cooked.
When its time to add rice, also add:
* extra water (you need 2 cups water for every cup of rice, so if you are going to add 3/4C rice, you should be adding 1 1/2C water, not just 3/4C water).
* add 1 tsp or so of curry powder depending on how hot you like it.
* add 1 tsp of garam masala (or allspice).
* add 1/2 tsp ginger.
At serving time:
* provide greek yogurt or a raita.
* provide sriracha hot pepper sauce.
I didn't use the vegetable oil as it would have added a bunch of unnecessary calories.
Was this review helpful?
6 users found this review helpful
I love lentils and rice. And this is pretty good with a bunch of modifications. However, it...