Wow! This is so good; it will be become a new holiday staple. Extremely flavorable and VERY moist. After reading through a lot of reviews and combining various ideas, here were my modifications:
* Increased eggnog to 1-1/2 cups
* Used 3 Tbl dark rum instead of the extract
* Increased vanilla to 2 tsp.
* Instead of 1/2 c butter, I used 1/4 c butter plus 1/4 cup oil
* Doubled the nutmeg to 1/2 tsp.
* Added 1 packet (from 3.4 oz box) of vanilla pudding powder and sifted it in with the flour.
* I creamed the sugar, oil & butter until it was light and fluffy before adding the eggs, etc. I added the eggs one at a time, mixing between eggs.
* Added a glaze - it came out very thick like a frosting, but melted into a nice glaze when spread on the hot bread. I used 1/2 c powdered sugar, 1-1/2 tsp butter, 1/4 tsp vanilla, 1-1/2 Tbl eggnog and 1-1/2 tsp rum. (Note: it made a plenty of glaze for a thin layer.) After the bread came out of the oven I let it sit for about 5 minutes, then poked some holes in it with a cake tester and spread a thin layer of the glaze on top.
I got 4 full mini loaves out of this. I left a little bit of room when filling the pans to allow room for the glaze, and they came out nice and rounded on top.
Can not tell you how delicious and moist and flavorful this is! It's fairly sweet with the glaze, so it's filling. But we thought the glaze added great flavor.
Was this review helpful?
25 users found this review helpful
Wow! This is so good; it will be become a new holiday staple. Extremely flavorable and VERY...