Wow! I was at the store and noticed the fresh leeks and bought them on a whim, then came home and looked up a recipe - i'm so glad I picked this one! I am literally eating the soup as we speak and it is phenomenal. After reading other's reviews and seeing what I had on hand, I used 5 cups of chicken broth instead of 4 (5 cups of water seasoned with chicken buillion cubes); used half a pound of bacon and half a pound of cubed pancetta (I live in Italy now and we have to use what we can find!); sauteed 4 chopped garlic cloves with the 2 whole leeks; after the potatoes were tender I took out approximately 1/4 of the batch and mashed them easily by hand with a masher. This recipe is delicious. A good way to clean leeks for those of us who dont cook with them often is as follows:
1. Rinse the outsides, cut off the bulb/root.
2. remove any outside leaves that are spotty or extra dark green, trim the ends of the green top of the leek.
3. cut the leek lengthwise down the middle, and chop according to recipe.
4. Place leeks in bowl of warm water and swirl around to remove excess dirt.
5. scoop out leeks and place in colandar, rinse.
It seems like alot of work, but really its not that hard and it is worth it to not have dirt in your recipe.
Thanks for the delicious soup - will most definitely make again!
Was this review helpful?
45 users found this review helpful
Wow! I was at the store and noticed the fresh leeks and bought them on a whim, then came home...