I must first start by stating this recipe has been unjustly crucified. It is creamy and delicious but as with all recipes is a guideline. A couple things should not be adjusted.
1. DO make sure you are using Arborio or carnaroli rice AKA Risotto rice.
2. DO use 8 cups of liquid to 1 cup of risotto rice for rice pudding. The larger grain makes the rice absorb more liquid.
3. After bringing to the boil quickly, reduce to a simmer and STIR. STIR. STIR. Risotto is creamy because you stir it knocking the starch off into the broth making it creamy. So make sure you stir and often.
4. If it's not thick, the rice probably is not done.
5. It takes a considerrabe amount of time longer to cook things in milk than water, it's a viscosity and food science thing, so it is going to take longer than normal to cook the rice.
6. Be patient. It's like watching a large pot of water cook.
As for my experiment with this recipe, I included a fresh scraped vanilla bean and contents at the simmer stage and omitted the cinnamon and vanillal extract. I also used 1/2 cup sugar instead of 3/4 cup. I like toppings on my pudding...like cooked fruit so I can always adjust the sweetness through those.
Was this review helpful?
16 users found this review helpful
I must first start by stating this recipe has been unjustly crucified. It is creamy and...