Recipe by Chef John
"This can be made with hundreds of different combinations of smoked meats, game, poultry, and seafood, and in my opinion, the more the merrier. The procedure is pretty straightforward, although you're talking about a full day's project. Serve in a large soup plate with a scoop of cooked white rice and a sprinkle of green onion and a pinch of cayenne"
Hmm. None of these ingredients are on sale today.
Show ingredients on sale
Sort stores by
Save money at local stores when ingredients are on sale!
Watch video tips and tricks
vegetable oil, or more as needed
andouille sausage, thickly sliced
green onions, chopped
ground black pepper
cayenne pepper, or to taste
diced fresh tomatoes
smoked ham hock
water, or as needed
pickled okra, rinsed and sliced
crawfish tail meat
chopped green onion
Chef John your the best. What a wonderful dish. We use Lobster, Duck Breast, Crawfish, Shrimp of course and frozen Okra. Turned out great!!
Amazing, I made a batch for 12 people for my PD and the first shift killed it. The was not anything to scrap off of the sides of the pan!
My husband said it was the best gumbo he ever tasted in his life. I made it last Sunday and it took from 10:30am to 1 pm to have everything in the pot. I rated it 4 stars because I changed the spices so much to add more flavor. Here are comments and changes:
1. Used 5 skin on chicken thighs vs duck legs and took skin off after browning
2. Used 1.75 lbs andouille sausage because I did not use cray fish
3. Cooked roux in oblong cast iron pan so only took 20 min
4. I did not add 2 more TB of flour because we wanted soup bowls not plates
5. I used a lot more stock 2.5 32 oz boxes( for Roux I used his amount of stock and added extra in soup pot)
6. I used Chef John's thyme and cayenne but added a large sprinkle of garlic powder and 2T of Emerl's Bayou blast and file powder in the end
7. I strained off a lot more fat and used 2T in the rice instead of butter
8. Chopped green onion and parsley sprinkled on rice
9. Loved John's tips of using some fat from meat for roux and using pickled okra
10. Only make this when you have a day off and for friend's and family who appreciate gumbo
I made this last Sunday and making Chef John's American onion soup this Sunday
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Chef John's Duck, Sausage, and Shrimp Gumbo
Serving Size: 1/8 of a recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat: 247
Get cute n’ creepy recipes to feed all your little monsters.
It’s everything you need to cook your best. Learn more about Allrecipes Cooking School.
All the game-day eats you need to crush the tailgate competition.
See how Chef John makes an intensely flavorful gumbo.
Discover the tricks to making amazing Creole shrimp with a flavorful gravy.
See what smoked sausage can do for a savory, spicy Cajun classic.