The recipe is quite good as is, but based on what I had in stock and what we really like, I made the following changes, and it was awesome!
1) Changed the flours to 1 cup white & 2 cups whole wheat
2) reduced the oil by about 1/3
3) didn't have any applesauce to use but used a little crushed pineapple instead (even more Carribean)
4) added one more very small banana
5) reduced the sugars by more than half and added some Splenda or Sugar Twin to replace just some of that (maybe half).
6) added some coconut as another poster mentioned (also a sweet component)
7) added about 1/2 c chopped pecans too (actually ait was probably a little more than that, because we really love them down here in Texas)
8) tossed in a few raisins and dried cranberries too as well as about 1/3 c of flax seed.
9) lastly I added about 1/3 - 1/2 c of quick oats for a little extra fiber.
I used 4 mini loaf pans. Just make sure they are evenly spaced in the oven and check for doneness with a toothpick a little sooner than you would with the larger loaves.
Next time I may leave some of those ingredients out and try fresh chopped cranberries (for a little tartness and maybe substitute a little grated carrot for some of the zuchini just for a little change-up
**Btw if zucchini is on sale or you just happen to have a lot on hand, grate it and freeze in 2 1/2 c portions to be ready to bake the next batch. Spread it thin in a freezer container or flat in a freezer bag for quick incorporation on short notice
Was this review helpful?
9 users found this review helpful
The recipe is quite good as is, but based on what I had in stock and what we really like, I...