I made this for a dinner party of 16 and it was a resounding success. I followed the recipe exactly, but I later experimented and can make the following suggestions:
1. Instead of fresh oranges, use either canned mandarin oranges or fresh mango.
2. add some fresh arugula-- it's natural peppery taste really adds to the salad.
3. Slice the apples as thin as you possibly can.
4. Use spanish almonds or hazelnuts instead of sunflower seeds.
5. Use both golden and red beets.
6. Add some caramalized onions. To serve 16, I used one medium red onion sliced in 1/4" slices, brushed with olive oil, layered on a baking sheet and roasted in the oven at the same time I roasted the beets. It took about 15-20 minutes. The roasting brings out the natural sweetness of the onions, and they are not at all overpowering or onion-y.
7. Toss greens and the dressing, then add the beets and the warm ingredients at the last minute.
8. Don't make extra because this salad does not save well overnight.
Was this review helpful?
170 users found this review helpful
I made this for a dinner party of 16 and it was a resounding success. I followed the recipe...