I used the filling and cooked it to its full length. Don't cut down on the time simmered and baked, because as the water evaporates the flavor only becomes more robust.
Modifications I made:
- Mash Potatoes in place of crust. More like a Shepherd's Pie. It's also cheaper. About 3lbs of yellow potatoes, boiled then mashed. 4 Tbshp of unsalted butter, 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream. Salt and Pepper to taste. (I don't use a blender for potatoes because it changes the dynamic of the mash) Chunks are good.
-Doubled the recipe because I had a feeling this would be a hit and for all the time you put in it, you might as well have plenty of leftovers.
- 2lbs of chuckeye with all the fat removed which probably made it about 1 1/2lbs of meat.
- Used one white onion, then 2 shallots.
- added about a 1lb of fresh cut up green beans.
- Baby Portabella Mushrooms in place of crimini and I added a little more than what it called for.
- Didn't add the sugar
- subbed bay leaf for sage.
- I also think you could add caraway seed or fennel seed, but didn't want to mess more than I did.
Was this review helpful?
12 users found this review helpful
I used the filling and cooked it to its full length. Don't cut down on the time simmered and...