Related Recipe Collection
The Last-Minute Picnic
Stash a basket or backpack filled with the basics in a hall closet or car trunk, and keep reusable gel packs in the freezer. That way you'll be ready to picnic at a moment's notice.
If you're short on time, whip up one homemade recipe and fill in the gaps with prepared foods. Make a homemade bread to knock guests' socks off, and offer assorted ingredients so picnickers can assemble their own sandwiches.
Buy specialty cheeses, a few baguettes, and fresh fruit (grapes, pears, apples) and let guests sip wine and savor a French-style picnic. For dessert, try something chocolate.
Picnic Basket Checklist
- Blanket, ground cloth, or tablecloth
- Serving utensils, bottle opener/corkscrew
- Moist towelettes or hand sanitizer
- Forks, spoons, knives, cups, plates, napkins
- Paper towels and trash bags for clean-up
- First aid kit: include bug spray, sunscreen, bandages