Related Recipe Collection
Need to Feed the Kids?
Check out an entire week's worth of kid-friendly menus.
You Might Also Like
Check out menus we've made to go with some favorite films. See you at the movies!
A Brief History of Popcorn
How did this grain go from early Aztec staple to cinematic snack?
- Ears of popcorn were discovered in a cave in New Mexico in 1948. More ancient than anything you've ever found in the back of your pantry, these specimens were over 4,000 years old.
- Popcorn was an essential food for Aztec and Peruvian civilizations; European explorers from the 16th century described Aztec rituals involving popcorn.
- During the Great Depression, popcorn was an affordable snack.
- When sugar was scarce during WWII, popcorn surged in popularity in the United States.
- TV viewing at home sent movie popcorn sales into a slump until families started popping their own.
- The average American consumes about 68 quarts of popcorn every year.