Allrecipes and Better Homes & Gardens are teaming up to help you have a happy Halloween.
One Month Ahead
- Choose a theme to help guide your choices for invitations, decor, games, and refreshments. Factor in the age of your partygoers so that activities are age-appropriate. For great ideas, explore Halloween party themes from BHG.com.
- Send invites. Purchase or create invitations that tie in with your theme. Let your guests know if they should wear costumes and how long the party will last. Two hours is usually plenty of party time for young kids. Pre-teens may want to turn it into a sleepover. In any case, let parents know when they should pick up their children.
- Gather decorations. Retailers stock Halloween supplies right after Labor Day, so you can plan your decor or start on handmade decorations and favors way ahead of time. Need ideas? Check out Halloween party decorations.
Two Weeks Ahead
- Prep the games. Plan and assemble supplies for party games and activities, such as these fun Halloween games from BHG.com.
- Complete the costumes. Finish buying or making your family’s costumes.
- Purchase party prizes. Shop the dollar store and sale aisles of party stores. Pick up prizes for a costume contest!
- Plan the menu. A fun treat can become a party game, too, such as decorating Halloween cut-out sugar cookies. Be sure to offer healthier snacks like roasted pumpkin seeds along with the usual sweets so kids don't leave on a sugar high.
One Week Ahead
- Buy non-perishable groceries and disposable tableware in your theme colors.
- Make a playlist of music appropriate for your kids’ age and the party theme.
- Finalize the guest list. Call anyone who hasn’t RSVP’d.
One Day Before
- Purchase perishable foods and fill favor bags.
- Prepare treats that can be made in advance.
- Set up the area for activities or crafting and put up decorations.
- Rent a Halloween movie to play in the background as kids make crafts, or in case a little one needs a break from the activities. Here are some movie ideas.
- Make last-minute foods and prep the beverages.
- Set up the treats table and game areas.
- Get everyone into costume, start the music, and enjoy!
Get ready for Halloween fun!