This menu of Mexican favorites packs plenty of flavor for a lively fiesta.
Taqueria Style Tacos--Carne Asada: Marinated steak is served in corn tortillas and topped with onion cilantro relish and homemade salsa.
- Prep everything the day before. Cook the meat at party time.
- Always protect your hands with rubber or latex gloves when handling peppers.
- Sauté sliced peppers and onions to fill vegetarian tacos.
- Serve tacos with rice, beans, and all the other fixin's (salsa, guacamole, sour cream, etc.) that make for a delicious a taco bar.
- Invest in tortilla warmers---you can find plastic warmers at very reasonable prices.
Chicken Enchiladas I: Flour tortillas, chicken, and a creamy, cheesy tomato sauce are literally all rolled into one.
Note: This dish can be prepared earlier in the day and refrigerated (or frozen in advance--thaw overnight). Wait to cover enchiladas with taco sauce and Cheddar cheese until right before baking.
Churros: Mexican fritters are a sweet end to a spicy meal.
Note: Churros can be made the day before and stored in an airtight container.
Margaritas: Whip out the blender for this adults-only slushy!
Spring is at its best in May, so take the party outside! Hang colorful strings of mini-lantern lights and enhance the evening glow with a scattering of tea lights.
Set up a table for the taco bar and enchiladas with a separate area for margaritas. And for those who don’t remember tequila fondly, mix a pitcher of sangria and put some Mexican beer on ice. Set chips, salsa, and guacamole trios in a few hot spots around the party, and serve churros with pieces of parchment paper wrapped around each base.
As for the fun and games…hang a piñata and let each guest take a swing at it with a stick or plastic bat. Everyone gets a blindfold and three attempts--the guest with the winning blow gets a bottle of tequila and two shot glasses to take home.