What type of photos can I submit to Allrecipes?
Submitting photos is so fun! You can publish several types of photos on Allrecipes. Photos will be displayed on your Cook’s Profile page and in the recipe gallery area on the Recipe Page.
- Recipe photos. What did you make for dinner last night? Did it taste great—and look great? Send us a photo!
- Personal photos. Send us photos of your friends and family enjoying your recipes. Or how about your kids’ birthday cake? If you’ve made it and you’re proud, submit a photo!
What do I need in order to post a photo?
- You must be an Allrecipes Member. If you’re not a member, sign up here—it’s free!
- A digital camera.
- A computer.
What are the guidelines for photo submission?
- Photo location. The photo should be stored on your computer in a digital format.
- Format. The photo should be in one of the following file formats (in a photo title “myrecipe.jpg” the “.jpg” indicates the file format):
- Size. The photo must be at least 960x960 pixels. The photo should be no larger than 20MB.
How do I submit a recipe or personal photo?
- Click on My Allrecipes tab in the top right corner.
- Click on the My Photos link.
- Click on Submit a Photo.
- Click on Submit a Recipe/Personal Photo.
- If you’ve selected to Submit a Recipe Photo, choose the recipe you have photographed, then click Choose this Recipe.
- Click the Browse button and browse to the pictures file on your computer.
- When you have found the photo, click Upload Now.
To submit a photo directly from a Recipe Page:
- Click on Add a Photo
- Click the Choose File button and browse to the pictures file on your computer.
- Click Continue to upload the photo.
During the photo submission process, you’ll see three versions of your photos representing the three sizes used on the site. If you’re happy with your title and notes, and have read our Terms and Conditions, click I Agree, Submit this Photo. To edit your title, notes, and/or image, click the back button, or Cancel to start the process over.
How do I submit a photo for my Cook’s Profile page?
- Click on the My Allrecipes tab in the upper right corner.
- Select the Edit link in the My Profile box.
- Click on Choose an Image on the Profile page.
- Choose between two types of images:
Click on an image to select it.
- an illustration from Allrecipes
- a photo you’ve submitted to our site
How do I submit a photo to my Blog page?
If you are an Allrecipes Pro (if not, learn more), you can create your own blog and add images to each post:
- Click on the My Allrecipes tab in the top right corner.
- Select Add/Edit Blog Post.
- On the blog post page, click on the Blog Photos box at the bottom of the page. From there, click Add Photos, which will open a new window.
- If you’ve already uploaded photos, they will appear in your image gallery. If not, you’ll need to upload some.
- To upload photos, select the Browse button and choose a photo from your computer. Once you’ve selected the image you want to upload, click Upload Now. The image you have just uploaded will now appear in your image gallery.
- From your image gallery, check the boxes of the images you’d like to add and click Add Selected Photos.
- Click on the Publish button to save your changes.
Notes about recipe and personal photo submissions:
You can post photos of your friends and family on your Cook’s Profile page. For each photo, you can include the following:
- a photo title
- notes about the recipe
- photography notes
What happens after you submit a photo?
After you have uploaded the image, we review the photo before publication. If approved, your photo will appear in your My Photos page, Cook’s Profile, and, if a recipe photo, on the Recipe Photos page for that recipe. Note: Once your image is published, it will still be subject to review and might be removed due to content and/or quality issues.
Can I check on the status of photo publication?
Yes you can! Check the status of your photo on your My Photos page—each photo will be assigned a status:
- Photo Published. If you see a small version of the image you uploaded, the photo is currently on the site and will go through our review process.
- Photo Not Accepted. If you check back and your photo has been deleted, a frowning face icon will appear in place of your photo indicating your photo has been rejected due to content or quality issues.
Why was my photo submission rejected?
If your photo is rejected, it could be for several reasons:
- Photo is unsuitable. Our editors determined the content was not suitable for publication. In general, any message, information, text, or photo that is unlawful, libelous, defamatory, obscene, pornographic, indecent, lewd, harassing, threatening, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, abusive, inflammatory, or otherwise objectionable will be removed. For more information see our Terms of Service.
- Photo is protected by intellectual property laws. Allrecipes cannot publish any images that are protected by intellectual property laws, rights of privacy or publicity, or any other applicable law unless you own or control the rights thereto or have received all necessary consent. If you feel Allrecipes has made this decision in error, please contact us at email@example.com.
- Photo has a file problem. Make sure your photo file meets our file criteria. If your photo status indicates it was rejected because we were unable to use the file, check to make sure your file is one of the following formats: jpg, gif, PNG. Also, the photo cannot exceed 20 MB in size. If your file meets these criteria and you still cannot submit it, please try again later. Our servers and/or your Internet service provider might be experiencing technical difficulties.
- Photo is poor quality. Bad lighting, out of focus, hard to read—are all reasons why a photo might not make the cut.
How can I improve my success rate at photo publication?
Here are some photo-taking guidelines:
- Be creative. Take lots of different shots, and pick the best one.
- Try different angles. Shoot from the side, from eye level, or from above.
- Experiment with lighting. Try the same photo with a flash, without flash, outside, or near a window in natural light.
- Focus on the food. Fill the photo shot with food—and don’t shoot from too far back.
- Minimize background clutter. Use a backdrop such as a tea towel, cloth napkin, or tablecloth draped over a propped-up serving tray, cutting board, or a cookbook.
How do I enter a photo for consideration as an Allrecipes favorite?
A new entry period begins daily at 12 a.m. PST and ends at 11:59 p.m. PST (Entry Period). All eligible photos received by Allrecipes within that time frame will be posted on the Photo Voting page for the following 24 hours where visitors will vote for their favorite photos.
Do I have to be a member to participate?
Anyone may vote on photographs, so make sure to tell your family and friends to come vote for your picture to get it on the homepage. However, only registered Allrecipes members can upload photos to the site. If you’re not yet registered, sign up now—it’s FREE!
What makes a photo ‘eligible to win?’
Only Recipe Photos—photos of food attached to the appropriate recipe—will be published among the “Favorite Photos.” Personal Photos will not be eligible.
Can I vote more than once?
You may vote for each photo only once, but are welcome to vote for as many photographs as you wish.
How do I vote?
Next to each image on the Photo Voting page, there is an orange “Vote” button. When you click on the button to vote, it turns gray, indicating you’ve cast your vote. You’ll also see the total votes for the photo (including yours!)
How can I see a larger version of a photo?
Just click on the photo you’d like to see enlarged and a pop-up box will display a larger version of the photo.
How do I get to the photo’s recipe?
Click on the photo. The pop-up box will contain a link to the recipe which will open in a separate window, so you can view the recipe while continuing to browse and vote for your favorite new photos!
How do I know which photos were voted as favorites?
The four winning photos (those that received the most votes each day) will display on the Allrecipes homepage the following day. Be sure to visit the homepage to see if your photo was selected!