Israeli Couscous with Roasted Butternut Squash and Preserved Lemons - Recipe
Feb. 4, 2009 3:32 pm
Updated: Feb. 26, 2009 11:47 am
Adapted from Gourmet, September, 1999
This delicious dish, studded with roasted butternut squash and tangy preserved lemon, can serve as a side or stand on its own.
1 Preserved Lemons
1-1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and deeded, and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
3 tablespoons Moroccan Olive Oil -- the fresher the better
1 large onion, chopped
1-3/4 cups Israeli Couscous
1 Ceylon cinnamon stick
1 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/4 teaspoon ground Ceylon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
2. Dice lemon in 1/4-inch pieces - enough to fill 1/4 cup
3. Toss squash with 1 tablespoon oil and salt to taste in a large shallow baking pan and spread in 1 layer. Roast in upper third of oven for 15 minutes, or until squash is just tender, and transfer to a large bowl.
4. Cook onion in 1 tablespoon oil in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderately high hear, stirring occasionally, until just beginning to turn golden. Add to squash.
5. Cook couscous with cinnamon stick in a large pot of boiling salted water for 10 minutes, or until just tender. Drain in a colander (no do rinse). Add couscous to vegetables an dtoss with 2 tablespoons oil to coat.
6. Add lemon and juice, parsley, nuts, raisins, ground cinnamon and salt to taste. Toss wot mix well and serve.
Recipe posted by Eliza, Owner of ChefShop.com